I have tried Colette Laurel top 6 times and decided it was a failure (I never want to wear the ones I did decide was a success), the Grainline Scout Tee was a fail - way too boxy for me. Simplicity 8523 took a lot of work and was rubbish. I did like Simplicity 1364 but looking at the pictures I am not 100% convinced.
Then Jenny from Cashmerette released the Springfield Top.
It is fairly plain, but after making the Concord tee and it fitting perfect I thought I would have a go.
I was sensible and made a toile. I cut again a size 16 with E/F bust.
I was totally amazed, straight out of the packet, no adjustments! There was a little gaping across the top of the bust but no where near enough to want to fix it. Wasn't boxy even in polycotton sheeting I use as muslin. Perfect length. I was happy - and got cutting.
Even the cutting isn't hard work!
I made the plain front with no band and then the yoke and no band or back pieces.
1m fabric easy makes this.
I cut 4 in one go - only 3 so far are finished. But I will say I sewed all three in one day - well about 4 hours actually (after cutting)
|Sorry this picture is a bit dark! Fabric Swap fabric!|
|Doing the MoBot after watching the Olympics for a bit!|
|Think this is my favourite - so far!|
All the seams in each are french seamed, and all the edges are bound (and hemmed) with shop bought bias tape. The turquoise is a really drapey, thin polyester and I do think it really would have benefitted from self bias as it gapes a little bit due to it being stiffer than the top fabric. Hopefully washing will soften it up a bit.
So guys it is love, true love. I am now planning on buying a lot of cardigans and making a lot more of these so I can wear them over winter and actually get them into my work wardrobe as well as weekends. I can see myself just living in these all the time! A bit obsessive I know but when I can whip them up in yum fabric why the hell not!
I have already cut 4 more.
All of these are from my scrap bag - the yellow elephants (a lot of colour for me!) is actually half a metre left over from my sofa cushions - I have used white polycotton for the bottom bands to eek this out of half a metre. Bright flower viscose I used before without success, can't wait to have a wearable top. The Red flower is from Xmas presents last year and the Navy/Mint flower is leftover from the wedding circle skirt I haven't worn yet. Four FREE tops just there! Exciting.
I actually cannot wait to get them all finished and plan my next but I am now out of woven fabrics suitable. I need to crack on with all my other planned projects to get back to the Springfield.
There will be more of these to come. Hope I don't bore you with them!
Thanks for reading!